Are you still stuffing your website articles with as many keywords as possible to get high traffic and higher ranking on Google? If yes, then let me tell you that if you are just focusing on keywords and not on quality of the articles then the desired results will elude you.
After Panda and Penguin updates, quality content (which has a right mix of information, marketing message and keywords) is an important factor to rank higher on Google.
I have jotted down a few tips on how to create valuable and saleable content.
- Make your articles relevant to the products or services you provide. Don’t fill your articles with fluff and unnecessary information that will distract your customers. The title of the page should be in sync with the article. For example, if your website is about fashionable dresses and accessories, then include content that describes these dresses.
- Arrange the write-up in a proper structure. Make sure that the readers can easily find out what they are looking for. When required, arrange the content into different sub headings so that one read the write-up quickly.
- Keep your website content fresh and unique. Update your website with write-ups, videos and blogs related to the new products, services, rules and regulations. For example if you run a health care agency and have decided to make some important changes in some of the services offered then let the customers know about it via your website. The new changes should be visible immediately.
- The website content must be attractive as well as informative. Write-ups and product/service descriptions should be written in a lucid language so that the facts are conveyed to the readers easily. Remember that if the readers are not able to make out what you are trying to say they won’t stay on your page for long and this will result in increased bounce rate. Also, the web copy must highlight the unique features of the products/services of the company and how choosing the products/services mentioned on the website can benefit the customers. A unique web copy talks about how the products/services offered by the company can solve the pain points of the customer.
- Ensure that the web copy is not misselling. In a nutshell, don’t promise things that you can’t deliver.
- Remember that website content is the platform through which you are going to communicate with your customers. Hence, content (be it video, images or text) should be closely related to what you sell. However, it’s important that you don’t go overboard with your marketing messages.
- Good web copy engages the visitors and turns them into customers (in case your website sells products/ services) or loyal visitors who will visit your website regularly. Hence, it’s advisable to not recycle content from brochures, mission statements, other marketing material as they focus on your company and not your target audience. A good web copy should not be all about YOU, instead it should be about your target audience and how you can help them.